Low Carb Pecan Pie Recipe with Keto/Paleo Crust
This is the perfect way to expand your Thanksgiving dessert menu without expanding your carbohydrate intake. The recipe is completely sugar free, and contains only a few net carbs per slice. This makes an absolutely great low carb recipe because it contains no fruits or high-carb vegetables, such as in apple or sweet potato pies.
This is a really basic keto pie crust that can be the basis of any kind of pie you'd like to make. You can use it for just about anything, so I would recommend making a few of these crusts and freezing or refrigerating them for future pie-baking. You should certainly pre-bake before freezing, but it's not absolutely necessary. The key ingredient to this recipe is a low-carb flour, such as super-fine almond flour or coconut flour. This recipe makes a 9 in pie crust.
- 2 1/2 Cups Almond Flour
- 1/4 Cup KetoGoods Allulose Syrup
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 cup ghee or melted butter
- 1 egg
- Optional: Cinnamon and/or vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Line a 9 inch pie pan with parchment paper. Otherwise, grease well!
- Mix together your almond flour, allulose syrup, and salt in a bowl.
- Slowly stir in your melted butter/ghee and your egg. Mix until all ingredients are combined. Expect your dough to be a little dry and crumbly, but mix to ensure there are no more powder left.
- Push your dough into the pan you prepared earlier. Press it back together if it falls apart.
- Bake for about 10 minutes until it is a very light golden color.
Now that we've got our pie crust, the next step is to make a delectable, caramel pecan pie filling. Using an Allulose Syrup (KetoGoods Bulk Allulose Syrup) is perfect, since allulose syrup caramelizes just like sugar without crystallizing. It's very important to keep the caramel on low heat while cooking so as not to cause separation.
- 1 Almond Flour Pie Crust from above
- 3/4 cup of butter
- 1 cup KetoGoods Allulose Syrup
- 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tbsp maple extract
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup halved pecans for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- In a large saute pan, heat your butter and Allulose Syrup over low heat. Stir frequently until it is reaches a dark gold.
- Add your cream and sea salt. Allow it to simmer for 15 or so minutes.
- Remove the sauce from heat and add vanilla and maple extracts.
- Allow the caramel to cool about 15 minutes. Leave the oven on.
- Once your caramel has cooled, whisk in your egg.
- Place chopped pecans in your pie crust and pour your caramel over them.
- Top with pecan halves
- Cover the edges with foil and make sure to leave the center open
- Bake for 30 or so minutes. Bake until the top is dark brown and the filling is thick.
- Chill for at least an hour to allow the filling to set.